Saturday, September 28, 2013

Week 3 Blog Entry


This week we said goodbye to stoichiometry and started to learn about the Lewis Dot structure of elements and compounds. We started reviewing for the big unit test we had on Wednesday, and did some whiteboarding in class. On Tuesday, we brought our cell phones and did a sort of iClicker type activity where we were given a question that was picked from one of the HotPots on the board, and we had to solve that question without a calculator. Once we felt like we got the right answer, we pressed that button on our phones and then Dr. J would display the distribution of choices. A lot of times, all of the choices were picked. If there was a dispute between two or three answers, we would confer as a table group and discuss the question until we all came up with a common answer. Afterwards, we would go through the question as a class and try to find the right answer. Sometimes we would eliminate some of the given choices, and other times we would run through a full stoichiometry problem using whole numbers in our heads.
 I was feeling a little uneasy while answering the problems because I’m so used to having a calculator in my hand. When I did the hotpots later that night, I was truthfully a little embarrassed when I realized how much trouble I was having when I didn’t have a calculator. I even had to Google how to perform some simple mental math functions such as long division! But I kept practicing the HotPots over and over until I was averaging at least a 90% on them. I went through nearly three full sheets of scratch paper (front and back)!
The chat room discussion at 8:00 PM was also very helpful. Although at first I wasn’t able to see the questions of my peers, it later got fixed and I was able to get see everyone’s questions and answers. The chat room overall was very helpful; I received the answers to questions I didn’t realize I had myself! Even after Dr.J left a few other students and I continued discussing the test and even answered a few of each other’s questions, too. It was very helpful discussing these questions, and it was nice to have some company too as we all studied far past 11 or 12.
The test itself was challenging, for I still felt shaky on mental math. I felt much more confident when I was completing the short answer than the multiple choice. I realized that doing the HotPots repeatedly was very helpful, because many of the questions on the tests seemed familiar. Somehow, I received a great score on the test (I was ecstatic when I saw my grade on PowerSchool) and I was pretty glad that my studying paid off. I’m definitely going to keep working hard to keep my grade.
On Thursday, we began Lewis Dot structures and completed a POGIL. I feel pretty good about it so far, but I still need some practice when drawing the models of more complex substances (HCN was a bit tough when I tried it). I just need to remember that each element needs to have a full octet of electrons, excepting Hydrogen which has a duet because its shell is full with two electrons.
Overall, I’m quite relieved that the first actual test is over. I will continue reviewing the material for this Unit throughout the days leading up to the next test so all of the material stays fresh and secure in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment